Thursday, May 30, 2013

"The Boy Who Lived" and Other Fun Tales

      I did so much today, so today's post will be much like yesterdays: lots of pictures with some comments here and there. I left this morning at 8 am and didn't get home until 8 pm, so I was adventuring for 12 hours straight. Word up! Also, lots of nerdy stuff is coming your way. So be prepared(:

"What is that?" "It's a bull." "Guys...it's an ox. Duh." Welcome to Oxford! The home of one of the oldest Universities and the film site of many Harry Potter scenes and the inspiration for Alice in Wonderland and Hogwarts. Woo!


So this is called Christ Church at Oxford University. This is what Hogwarts was based on and where a lot of Harry Potter scenes were filmed and it's also where Lewis Carrol went to school and where he got influences for Alice in Wonderland(:



Look familiar? THESE ARE THE HALLS OF HOGWARTS!!!

I was so happy, I even teared up a bit. I am such a nerd.



These stairs look famliar?


I am standing where Harry stood and Krista is standing in place of Malfoy. Say what?!


The great hall!! Of course, minus all of the paintings, and there are benches in place of the chairs, but still!! 


So while it was the great hall, the main table was set up like the Mad Hatter's tea party(: 


I don't know why this is sideways, but this is where the first years learned how to fly their brooms(: 



This is Christ Chapel, and this stained glass window is of St. George and the Dragon I believe(: Surrounded by the Knights of the Garter, which he started and still continues to this day(:


These are the dorms for Oxford, like what?! Also, attractive British college men were everywhere. Not that we had any intention of talking to any of them it's still every American girl's dream.


So we then just meandered around the grounds and campus and found all sorts of parks and walking paths. Including a stream/creek thing with ducks and devil swans (also known as geese). Krista got really excited and kept chasing them around like 







We really liked the cemetery. Yeah, I'm that weird girl that hangs out in graveyards. Also, we named the cat Ginger, or as we liked to call her, Gingy.


This is the pub where J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and Hugo Dyson would meet and talk. They are all very famous British writers and some of my greatest role models. They're part of the reason I want to be an author(: But yeah, this place was cool.

I have no idea if this has any connection to Daniel Radcliffe.

So we then went to Oxford Castle, where I continuously hummed or sang LOTR theme music and said  Princess Bride quotes. 


I'm standing on the Motte here, which is a big man-made hill that they made for the castle keep. The keep was on top so it was most guarded and had a good view for if enemies were coming. Made me think of Rohan. Also, the keep isn't there anymore, but you can see some remains if you walk around.

This is called the Radcliffe Camera. It's pretty cool(:

This was some sort of library I think, I can't remember which one. But all of the buildings in Oxford are really old and cool looking(:

This is the Bridge of Sighs. It's pretty, though I don't know why it has any significance.


We then ate dinner at this cool pub called the Pig & Pen, or something similar to that. Where I got a yummy steak sandwich, chips, and a drink for 6 pounds. It was really tasty, too(:

We then split this super tasty chocolate fudge cake. So good!!

We found this graffiti near the train station, but there was nothing underneath it. So Krista is very upset that people think she is grass(; 

     I could have gone into so much more detail about today, but I really don't want to try and fit 12 hours into one post. Also, I saw so much today that I can't keep it all straight. All I know is that I love Oxford(: And I know I've said I want to move to London, but I've changed my mind. If I ever move to England, I'm going to live in Oxford. Besides, its only an hour train ride from the city(: Well anyway, we returned home where we then watched the first Harry Potter and then freaked out about all of the similarities and the fact that just a few hours ago we had been standing in the exact sites that the movie was filmed. AHHHHH!!!! But yeah, today was great(: And tomorrow I'm going to the coast, it's supposed to be nice so hopefully I can finally get some sun(: My day has been long, and I'm tired. Night everyone(:

No comments:

Post a Comment