Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Cheerio, old boy!

    So today was cold again. I feel like London really enjoys messing with me because the days I dress warm the sun comes out and I get hot, and then on the days I dress down it gets dreary again. Seriously, I cannot escape bipolar environments. I guess I should just accept it as my fate. Oh well(: Today was fun! Though now that I've been here a while and have done a lot, the days are beginning to be a bit more chill(:

The day began with the Victoria and Albert Museum(: Also called the V&A. It's freaking enormous, and has all sorts of different kinds of artwork and history. I really enjoyed it(:




So this is a statue of Poseidon/Neptune and he's one of my favorite gods in Greek mythology(: Mostly because I love swimming and the Percy Jackson series, but he's also just really legit. I'm also a mythology nerd. Not that that'll surprise anyone. 

Also, the museum supplied these chairs all over the place for artists to come in and sit and sketch the artwork already there. This guy was extremely talented and let me watch him work for a little bit. I was awe struck. I wish I was artistic.

So I really wanted to go to Japan this summer, and that was the original plan. But it didn't work out, so I was glad that the museum had a Japanese section(:

This is a statue called Saint George and the Dragon. Yeah, I have an odd connection that has anything to do with any Saint George. Gosh darn it Utah(;

"Cheers to you and your lovely tunic mate!" "Yes, cheerio old boy!" Direct quotes of what we said. I am so glad Brianna isn't afraid to be weird in public with me(:

So they had this really cool exhibit about theatre, old and modern. I really liked this wall of playbills(:

So this is THE First Folio of Shakespeare's works. Published in 1624 (I'm not sure on that date actually, though I should be because we've discussed it in class like, 5 times or something). But how cool is it that they still have it?! 
They also had costumes from a bunch of plays that have been in London and of course we couldn't resist(:

 Good heavens, I am such a creeper. You are all so lucky that I do not care what people think of what I look like. Otherwise these would never be seen haha(:

And after the museum I introduced Brianna, Miranda and Siera to Nando's, where I got a sandwich instead of a wrap this time! Still just as tasty though(:


And we were so close, might as well stop by and see our good pal Sherlock again!(:

Afterwards we went to Trafalgar Square(: Well, we merely passed through it. But we stopped for some pictures(:

So this is the Lion that I sat on the last time I was in London for an extended period, which was like 6 years ago. I was very upset that I was not able to go and sit on lion this time around. 

Anyway, we passed through Trafalgar Square to get to the Churchill War Rooms and Churchill Museum. This was super cool, and totally worth the visit. You get to go down and see the actual "bunker" from WWII, which was kept the exact way since the end of the war. They just closed it and sealed it the way it was until they opened it back up in like the 70s or something. So it was like stepping back in time. Super enjoyable(:


This is a replica of a Navy Soldier keeping guard outside of the Conference room, where one would have been stationed at all times during the war. We clearly don't know how to be very soldier like haha(:

This was one of the bedrooms that has just been sitting down under the ground. Unfortunately, my phone (which I use as my camera) died after this and I was unable to document the rest of the experience. But it was super legit and I if you ever get the chance, go(: 

      So after that, we headed back to the flat. After doing some reading, I went for a walk and just explored a bit on my own. Nothing super special, then tried to do some homework (keyword being 'tried' here). I didn't accomplish much(; But now I'm going to try to at least start this paper and then get to bed. So until tomorrow, I bid thee all a pleasant farewell(:

No comments:

Post a Comment