Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Miss Adaline Jane- Birth Story

I'll start by saying that knowing exactly when you are going to have a baby is really weird. Being told during my delivery with Olivia that all future births would have to be by c-section, we knew exactly when Adaline was coming from around the time I was 24 weeks pregnant. Though while it was weird going into the hospital with no contractions and no labor pain, it was nice having had sleep the night before.

Having moved to Colorado last August, we were no longer just a quick 3 hour drive from my mom. So knowing months in advance allowed her to book a flight ensuring she would be here the day before so that she could stay at our house with Olivia while Derek stayed at the Hospital with Adaline and me. Olivia was thrilled to have Nana here, which made it relatively easy for Derek and I to leave without her getting sad.

We arrived at the hospital a little before 10am on Monday morning. Again, so weird to just go and check-in with no rush and no pain. We were really excited though. One downside was I wasn't allowed to eat anything 8 hours before the scheduled surgery, which was like 4am, so I hadn't eaten in 10 hours as a pregnant woman. But despite being hungry, we checked in and got changed into the glorious hospital gown.



Unfortunately, not having eaten in so long made it so that when my IV was placed, I got extremely light-headed, nauseous, my blood pressure dropped, oxygen levels decreased, and baby's heart-rate dropped. So despite it being a scheduled c-section, just goes to show that nothing we do when it comes to having a baby can go perfectly smooth. Luckily after being on oxygen and being given some sort of drug to help raise my blood pressure (Derek would know what it was, but I'm writing this when he isn't home), baby's heart-rate regulated and I was feeling better. However, I definitely wasn't thrilled about feeling so sick. Or of the fact that Derek decided to snap like 10 pictures of me throughout.


Derek was able to be right next to me the whole time except for when I entered the OR and received the spinal block. I thought it was kind of weird, but when the time came to enter the OR I followed my nurse and met the anesthesiologist, his assistant, my doctor, and her assistant. It was a great team, and I was amazed at how much quicker the spinal block worked than the epidural during Olivia. Not to mention that the epidural, until my c-section, didn't really work, so the spinal working within seconds was a pleasant surprise. They started getting me ready for surgery and Derek joined us. It was really cool that during this c-section, the curtain between us and the surgery was clear, with a blue drape taped up to it, so when Adaline was actually born, they pulled the drape down so I could see her right away and Derek could take pictures (the pictures below aren't graphic at all, but they are during surgery, so, you've been warned).

Everything was moving as scheduled so the surgery officially started at 12:30pm. Having not been in labor for 22 hours prior this time around, I noticed that they didn't have to do near as much tugging and pulling to get me open enough and it they also didn't have to work very hard to get Adaline out. It is still a super weird feeling though to feel everything they are doing, but not have any pain associated with it.


Adaline Jane Clarke was born on Monday, June 10, 2019 at 1:02pm weighing 7lbs 6oz and 19.5in long (1oz heavier than Olivia, and .5in longer). They whisked Olivia away so quickly that I don't remember her crying when she was born, but Adaline was loud and let us know she was okay right away.




They let Derek cut the umbilical cord, something he couldn't do with Olivia, and one of the nurses took his picture.



The most refreshing part of her whole birth experience for me was being able to do skin-to-skin and hold her almost immediately after birth, which I wasn't able to do with Olivia's. It was amazing to finally have her in my arms, and it was incredible how as soon as she was against me, she calmed right down and stopped crying.



I was able to keep her by me while we rested before going to our recovery room in Mom and Baby. She was very alert and strong, which didn't surprise us too much after Olivia, and she kept cooing and making such cute noises, almost like singing.





Derek was calm as ever during the entire procedure, and stayed with Adaline if they ever had to take her anywhere. I think it was much easier for both of us the second time around, and he was a very proud dad.


Our labor and delivery nurse takes 2 hats to make these cute bow hats for any girl babies that she helps deliver. It was such a sweet, little touch that she took some extra time to make this and bring it to Adaline before we switched rooms.

After we were brought to our recovery room in Mom and Baby, Derek left to get my mom and Olivia to come meet Adaline. My friend Audrey came to take pictures of us as a family of four and of Olivia meeting her baby sister for the first time. I'm so glad she was there to capture the moments, and these are some of my favorite shots.










They stayed to hang out for a couple hours, Olivia being very good with Addy the whole time, before Derek took them back to our house.


The next day, Adaline had her first bath and I wasn't surprised that we have another water baby who loved being in the warm water and having her hair washed. She was such a good baby right away, she caught onto nursing right away, and also liked sleep more than her older sister did. So much so, that she slept for 8 hours straight during the day when she was 2 days old and I was freaked out she wouldn't wake up to eat. She lost a little bit of weight, but nothing they were worried about, and she got back onto an eating and sleeping schedule quickly enough.



I think it's so funny how, from day 1, Adaline has been able to find her thumb and loves to suck it. She still does it, 2 months later, and I think it's the cutest thing.


After a couple days in the hospital, I was ready to go home. While I was still in pain and required help to do most things, it was SO much better than my first c-section, so we went home on Thursday June 13th. 




Olivia was asleep when we got home Thursday, but the next morning she was ecstatic to have us home and wanted to hold baby sister right away. She has been a natural older sister from day 1. She had a lot of fun with my mom, but she needed us home, too. My mom stayed for another week, which was really nice since I couldn't pick Olivia up or do much cooking or cleaning yet. I really appreciated all of the help she gave us as we adjusted that first week to having two kids.

We really are so blessed to have two such amazing little girls and that they get along already, and I know that as they grow older, they will be best friends. I'm so excited to the fun we will have. I don't know why, but I when I was younger I always thought I'd be a boy mom and that I'd be better suited for that, but I am so glad we have girls and I am in the thick of pink, bows, and baby dolls. Derek thrives as a dad to these sweethearts as well, and we are just super happy now as a family of four <3




No comments:

Post a Comment