Sunday, March 26, 2017

Our Little Miracle


In case you missed the little, very low-budget production I shared on my Facebook and Instagram, we are expecting a little one in October! We are so excited to start this next chapter in life and grow our little family. We were especially happy to see that positive pregnancy test, because I had been struggling with infertility.

"Infertility" can mean a lot of things. Sometimes it means you can't have kids at all, and in other cases it just means you're going to need help. In my case, in early November I was diagnosed with PCOS, unusually low estrogen levels, blocked fallopian tubes (which they were able to unblock luckily), and an "oddly shaped" uterus ("It's like a shelf, and should be like a balloon." Um...okay??).

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal disorder causing enlarged ovaries with small cysts on the outer edges, and it prevents ovulation. It also affects 1 in 10 women in the United States (as of June 8, 2016 according to womenshealth.gov). That's roughly 15,700,000 women, and probably more, but a pretty common problem that affects a lot of women's chances at getting pregnant.

So after months and months and months of trying, negative pregnancy tests, doctor visits, blood work, different tests, and getting sick on clomid, we got what we were waiting for: a positive pregnancy test :) I couldn't contain my excitement as I grabbed the really goofy shirt I bought for Derek as a way to tell him if/when it happened and went to give it all to him.


All I've ever wanted was to be a mom. I was the weird kid that when you asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up when I was 5, I would alternate between the response "a superstar" and "a mom." I couldn't understand for the longest time why the one thing I wanted more than anything was being held from me. I struggled with the results, regardless of how much time went by and we kept trying. But I've learned a lot about myself and what I can handle, and I appreciate and love this little baby so much more because of the challenge and struggle we had to go through to get to this point. He or she won't ever wonder whether they were wanted or not, because there is no arguing how much we wanted and already love this baby.

Well, I am currently almost 13 weeks along, and we're going to wait until 20 weeks to find out the gender. Having anxiety and needing to have a plan for everything, we won't be keeping it a surprise. But I'll continue to post updates, if not just for myself to look back on, but for anyone else who is curious or going through similar experiences. So check back in later, and thank you all for the congratulations and well wishes :)


No comments:

Post a Comment